Despite thinking I already knew a lot about the topic of Aliens and UFOs I was still surprised by how much I learned. Gary has spent years researching the topic and exposes the Alien and UFO phenomenon for what it is - a massive deception.
The fact that I thought I knew the topic well and had already made up my mind on it before really researching it carefully highlights a problem - that people, even Christians, have often made up their minds about this topic, without really taking the time to look into it. Christians might think it's all demonic, whereas at the other extreme many atheists might think it can all be explained through naturalistic explanations.
Approximately 95% of UFO reports can be written off as natural phenomenon - weather balloons, aircraft, planets, meteors etc. The remaining 5% is where it gets really interesting. Many of the reports can be written off as frauds by those who are out to get money or fame out of their claims. The author of 'Chariots of the Gods' (Erich von Daniken) is one such person who has actually been convicted of fraud and whose UFO / alien claims have been debunked as lies.
Where it starts to get more sinister though is with those who claim to have been abducted by aliens. The book clearly exposes the demonic and deceptive nature of these encounters. The fact that practicing Bible believing Christians are never abducted, and the many reports of abductions being halted by the name of Jesus are evidence of the spiritual nature of what is going on.
Demonic deception is as old as the garden of Eden, but can also be seen in occult practices throughout history, and it was interesting to make the connection between some demonic alien encounters and the ancient worship of the stars.
In these end times as we come closer to the return of Jesus, we are seeing an increased level of deception, and the belief in ETs has become very common. Jesus himself warned that in the end times their would be an increased number of false teachers and false prophets, and warned us not to be deceived by these false revelations.
The belief in UFOs and aliens is not just some innocent story. For those who get deep into the alien deception the results can lead to terrible bondage, fear, and in some cases even suicide. Alien cult groups have even been known to lead to mass suicides.
The book also shows that there is a direct link between belief in ETs and belief in evolution. The thinking goes that if we evolved and the universe is billions of years old then it makes sense that intelligent life will have also evolved elsewhere in the universe. However, the idea that all life evolved over billions of years is an unproven hypothesis, and one that clearly contradicts the teaching of the Bible.
I give the book 4.5 stars out of 5. (There were references in the book to quite a few sci fi movies such as 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' but it would have been good to have some reviews of more recent sci fi movies. However, I was reading the first version of the book (© 2004), so no doubt the new and updated version has included more up to date information.)
For more on the topic of Aliens and UFOs see my other blog post here.
Aliens, UFOs, and the Bible
(This video is a good summary of the book, but the book goes into much more detail)